Earlier today in a press conference held by Sony Computer Entertainment, more information was released regarding the PSN outage. During this conference, they announced that they will begin to restore services this week, along with a “welcome back program”, which will compensate users affected by the outage. This includes 30 free days of PlayStation Plus & 30 days of the Qriocity service, along with free downloads of content on the PlayStation Store, which has yet to have been identified.
More information was also released regarding the damage that the hackers had done to the system. Credit card numbers were taken, however, according to Sony, the hackers did not obtain the three or four digit security to each card.
Sony has phased everything out in regards to getting these networks back up and running, but say it is prone to change:
- Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
- Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
- Access to account management and password reset
- Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
- Friends List
- Chat Functionality
More information was released as well,
in regards to what Sony did to improve the security of these services Including:
- Adding automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
- Adding enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
- Adding an enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
- The implementation of additional firewalls
Users can expect to have to change their passwords upon restoration of PSN and Qriocity as well in a forced system update. As an added layer of security, that password can only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation, a critical step to help further protect customer data.
Read more about the press conference here
Article from Gamersyndrome.com